Wednesday, November 16, 2005

out of shape

Any illusions that I am in shape have been shattered. I have started running again this week (after a hiatus of 9 years - I guess 9 years is more than a hiatus, unless we are talking in geological terms.) We'll I'm not sure I can call it running yet. It is faster than a walk - let's call it a jog - be gentle with me. It's just that I don't last very long. One warmup lap to loosen the joints up(250m), then 4 more laps(1km) and I'm done for.

Here's what I'm wearing on my feet - Saucony Guide - they feel real comfortable. My style is bad, my left foot seems to hit hard and the lung capacity is way low.
But I will persist - not every morning - but I'm aiming for 3 or 4 mornings per week. It's been 2 in a row.

I'm running on the indoor track at the Waterloo Rec Centre. It's not that bad a surface.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has it really been 9 years? I lived in your basement back then. I remember smelling you come in after running. Eesh. I sure hope for the sake of everyone that may see you that you've got different shorts now.

You should add a cool-down lap too.

And finally, maybe losing the beard will cut back on the wind resistance in the facial area. ?? Just a suggestion.

Anonymous said...

Don't give up! You're inspiring me to end my own running hiatus.

Nice runners, btw.

There may be something to that beard suggestion...

oncoffee said...

ah the smell of sweat

Anonymous said...

Would that be beard sweat?

I've never smelled that.

Anonymous said...

I had my sneakers bronzed a long time ago and dangled them on my rearview mirror of my 1987 Volvo (Turbo 740). Like all good things - all must pass and the last time I saw them they were on their way to Teen challenge. Those sneakers never saw so many miles and I did not have to sweat at all while I excercised the gas peddle. Personally, I don't think it is the 'Christian' thing to expect our pastors to sweat!!