Thursday, August 10, 2006

College

In a few weeks,. my youngest son, Nathan, leaves home for his first year of post-secondary education. Nathan graduated high-school in 2005 and took a year to earn some cash and experience life from a working perspective. He begins at Fleming College, in Peterborough, the first week of September.

My oldest son, Joel, will be finished his video game design course at the end of December this year.

There are number of people blogging about kids heading off to college.
Scott McKnight @ Jesus Creed has a good post.
Bill Kinnon @ achievable ends, a Torontian, also has a good post.

Bill's blog pointed me to the zine Comment, published by the Work Research Foundation, and the series, Making the most from college.

From Gideon Starss' article - asking big questions
I am convinced that any attentive, thoughtful young adult will find big questions rising up within themselves. The following seven questions are important for all of life—and the college years offer a uniquely privileged setting in which to seriously consider them.
and his 7 questions:
What do I love? What do I believe? Where do I belong? Who am I? What hurt needs healing in the world? What potential waits to be realized? What is to be done? (Read his response to each question.)


Making the most from college looks like a very good series - I haven't read it all yet. If you are heading off to college / university or you have kids who are this fall, check it out & let me know what you think.

No comments: