Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Miniature Earth



the blind beggar links to The Miniature Earth.
The Miniature Earth website first appeared in 2001 and has since seen been viewed by more than 2 million people and linked to by more than 20,000 websites. It has been updated recently and is now in its third version.

The very useful idea behind The Miniature Earth is to reduce the world’s population to a community of only 100 people, while keeping statistics the same. The effect enables us to see the differences on our planet with clarity, and perhaps consider how our actions impact humanity.

It is only a few minutes long and well worth a look. Praying you will, in the project’s final words, “Appreciate what you have. And do your best for a better world.”

1 comment:

michael lewis said...

Great site. Helps bring the statistics to a meaningful level.

Thankfully, I don't feel bad because I'm relatively poor. I have two meals a day, on average, the first meal consisting of 1 cup of oats cooked in 2 cups of (hopefully clean) tap water, with a sprinkle of sugar. The second meal is two slices of bread with peanut butter or meat slice and cheese.

I can't afford a third meal because I don't make enough money to buy food. I'm indebted to student loans. My education was my key to poverty.