Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Tuesday's with Morrie

My son Joel & I watched Tuesday's with Morrie last night. Mitch Albom's film is a great story.

It's based on the book by the same name. The 1999 film stars Jack Lemmon (Morrie) in what was to be his last major role. He won the Emmy for Best Actor for his performance; Hank Azaria (Mitch) won an Emmy for Best Supporting Actor; and the film won the Emmy for Best TV Movie.

This is a made for TV movie that looks like a real movie. Jack Lemmon is amazing in his portray of a man dying of ALS [Lou Gehrig disease] - my uncle died due to ALS. Wikipedia has a good plot summary. It's a film about death and dying - but it's also about life and living. Joel & I would both highly recommend the film... or read the book. Some quotes from the film:
  • When you learn how to die, you learn how to live.
  • The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.
  • As you grow, you learn more. If you stayed as ignorant as you were at twenty-two, you'd always be twenty-two. Aging is not just decay, you know. It's growth. It's more than the negative that you're going to die, it's the positive that you understand you're going to die, and that you live a better life because of it.
  • Love each other or perish.
  • Is today the day? Am I ready? Am I doing all I need to do? Am I being the person I want to be?

No comments: