Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Golden Compass

I read The Golden Compass this week.
I read it because of all the fuss in some circles.
I read it because it's a good story.
I read it because I'm not afraid of atheists or their books or movies.

I have received emails warning me not to go see the movie. I have head people asking me to boycot the film.
Some catholic school boards have pulled the book off their library shelves.

My reaction. Come on people... get a life.
It's a story.
Now before some of you get your knickers in a knot...
  • Yes, I know that Philip Pulman is an athiest & has said some nasty things about Lewis and Tolkien... so... so are other authors that I read & screenwriters who have written movies I have watched.
  • Yes, I've heard that the 2nd and 3rd book [I haven't read them yet], talk about the death of God, and is very anti-church; but, from what I've read in various reviews, the god that Pulman kills off, and the church which comes under attack bears little resemblance to the God of the Bible and the New Testament Church.
  • Yes, I know that films can change some of the things in a book... so... so have other books/films.


I'm getting a little ticked at well-meaning Christians, whose main reaction to media that they are uncomfortable with, is to call for a boycott.

Maybe, instead, they need to take a course in understanding world views and apologetics... learn how to talk with [not to, but with] people who think differently... learn how to share the reality of the love and grace of God, not call down fire and brimestone on them.

People, it's a story... Pulman is a great storyteller.

Some links

No comments: