Friday, July 03, 2009

quote

"He [Jesus] did not start a movement of latte-drinking disciples who excelled in spiritual conversations. He founded the church (Matt. 16:18) and commissioned the apostles to proclaim the good news that Israel's Messiah had come and the sins of the world could be forgiven through his death on the cross (Matt. 28:18-20; Acts 2:14-36)."
via crossroads

I like the quote... I'm not sure I'll like the book. The quote comes from the authors of Why We Love the Church: In Praise of Institutions and Organized Religion. Without having read the book, the title sounds a lot like a defensive view of "traditional church."

1 comment:

In Christ Alone said...

Looks like the scientific term (and don't quote me...I scraped by with a 50 in High School Chemistry). Every action has an opposite reaction, something like that anyway. Ask someone who loves Science, anywhoooo,
the first chapter of the book claims to not be slamming other opinions but already is doing it in Chapter #1. I don't find it odd. I expected it. Just to add to the confusion of this "new found freedom" within the guidelines of what the "church" is. I definitely need the to get the right definition of what "Church" is. Does anybody know. The books are made to sell....one side or the other....people will be buying them. Where is Truth? I am searching Google for that as well. (Tongue definitely inserted in cheek). Ugly stuff.

In Him,

Vanessa