Saturday, July 09, 2011

random 138

cymbal strike
Who knew there was so much flex in a cymbal.  This is shot at 1000 frames/sec.


link: http://kottke.org/11/06/slo-mo-cymbal-strike


duncan
 
Thanks to www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/ for those bit of good news

Paul Simon, during his Toronto show on May 7, made Rayna Ford's dream come true. Ford, a fan from Newfoundland, called out for Simon to play "Duncan," and said something to the effect that she learned to play guitar on the song. In a moment of astonishment and disbelief, Paul Simon invited her on stage, handed her a guitar and asked her to play it for the crowd. When she strapped on the guitar, the audience went crazy. In a few strums, the band played along, tears ran down Rayna Ford's cheeks and Simon stood by her side in smiles.

It was an absolute moment of sobbing joy for Ford and for the crowd. It was a moment so beautiful, so human, it could almost be a story in a Paul Simon song. Excuse me while I wipe my own tears. Go Rayna and all the Raynas out there with dreams. As the song says:
Oh, oh, what a night
Oh, what a garden of delight
Even now that sweet memory lingers
I was playing my guitar
Lying underneath the stars
Just thanking the Lord
For my fingers,
For my fingers  

gershwin playing "rhapsody in blue" 



the blue town of Maroc
I have some great memories of spending a few day here back in 1978. This town up in the Reef Mountains has many of it's buildings "blue-washed". I should dig out some of my slides.
wonderaday.com


maps
It's been a while since I have posted any maps. Here are some nice old school maps

geological investigation of the alluvial valley of the lower Mississippi

No comments: