I'm sure some of you have had similar conversations. And, if I'm honest, I'm sure I've said something very much like that in the past:
- “we let women lead”;
- “it’s so great that our church lets women lead”;
- “our church let a woman speak this weekend, isn’t that cool?”
This doesn't ring with the story of God's freedom:
- of God setting people [both men & women] free;
- of God breaking down barriers;
- of God empowering [both men & women] for ministry, service, leadership;
- of God releasing his Spirit [in both men & women];
- of God restoring his image [in both men & women];
- of God unleashing and establishing his Kingdom on earth, even as it is in heaven, among both men & women.
These comments are less about women and leadership [and I know some will be upset by what I have written] and more about our misuse of the language of power and control.