- The illiterate. There are people who are illiterate or functionally illiterate, often because of generational poverty, mental health issues and/or substance abuse.
- The illiterate because they did not grow up with the Bible. This is a good type of biblical illiteracy because it can change with time as people begin to read and understand the Bible.
- The illiterate because they have difficulty reading the Bible. In my experience, this is often older folks or people who grew up in fundamentalist churches that rely on the KJV. This is often a hard group (especially the fundamentalists) to help understand that newer translations are valid and can be helpful for their spiritual life.
- Then there are the illiterate because they simply don't read the Bible. It is this last group that saddens me so much.
- Why don't we read and study and meditate on the scriptures?
- Why do we think we can know the heart and mind of God, if we seldom read the scriptures?
- Why do we think we can reduce the scriptures to Facebook posts and Twitter tweets?
"What is your favourite Bible verse?"