Friday, December 09, 2016

Book Review: The Bad Habits of Jesus

Title: The Bad Habits of Jesus: showing us the way to live right in a world gone wrong
Author: Leonard Sweet (read by Dean Gallagher)
Year: 2016
Publisher: oasis audio
Media: CD


Confession: I like Leonard Sweet. I have read many of his books and heard him in person several times. Len Sweet can almost always be counted on to give us a good read. I know a lot of people don't like what he says, but, he certainly causes people to think: deeper, and in fresh way about God, the Kingdom, our world and ourselves. 

"The Bad Habits of Jesus" was written in six weeks, and includes some crowd-sourcing from his Facebook page. 

Jesus’ so-called bad habits reveal truths about God’s love and message that are vital for us. Len Sweet takes the biblical context and gives it that little twerk that helps us see Jesus, might I even say the real Jesus, not a sanitized, religious Jesus, a little clearer.
 
Len Sweet talks about: Jesus Procrastinated, Jesus Offended People, Jesus Offended People in High Places, Jesus Hung Out with Bad People, and Jesus Thought He was God. 

This is one of my first experiences listening to a book. And in this case I think it works. The chapters are not long, they held my interest, and some of them made me hit pause and relisten (a couple of the disadvantages of an audio book, is it not as easy to relisten and I can't underline a passage). The CD set includes an extra CD with some questions for a discussion group. 

Would I recommend this book? Yes. But don't expect a Bible study. It relies on the readers’ knowledge of the Biblical text. It is more a food for thought book.

I received this audio book from the author in exchange for a review.

No comments: