Friday, December 16, 2005

all i want for christmas is a rocket launcher

The title of course brings to mind Bruce Cockburn's song "If I had a rocket launcher"
Here comes the helicopter - second time today
Everybody scatters and hopes it goes away
How many kids they've murdered only God can say
If I had a rocket launcher... I'd make somebody pay

I don't believe in guarded borders and I don't believe in hate
I don't believe in generals or their stinking torture states
And when I talk with the survivors of things too sickening to relate
If I had a rocket launcher... I would retaliate

On the Rio Lacantun, one hundred thousand wait
To fall down from starvation - or some less humane fate
Cry for guatemala, with a corpse in every gate
If I had a rocket launcher... I would not hesitate

I want to raise every voice - at least I've got to try
Every time I think about it water rises to my eyes.
Situation desperate, echoes of the victims cry
If I had a rocket launcher... Some son of a bitch would die


But what got me thinking about rocket launchers for Christmas was this notice in Good Gifts Catalogue.
5002 - ROCKET LAUNCHER £55.00
From aggro to agri:
swords into ploughshares
Peace is paying dividends in Sierra Leone. The same civil war that depleted the country of tools and work is now providing ample raw material for recovery: weapons. Enterprising blacksmiths and metal workers convert them into farm implements so that a Kalashnikov becomes hoes and axe heads and a rocket launcher transforms into pickaxes, sickles and even school bells.
The indisputable heavyweight champ is a tank (or a heavy duty 16 wheeler) that can provide a year's work for 5 blacksmiths, turning it into 3,000 items vital to equip a farming village of 100 families. Jobs, tools, agriculture. It isn't everyday that what you long for comes true.


Now that's a unique Christmas gift

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is hardly a Christmas story. . . more like a 'Tanks-giving' story! (LOL - gotta craft a pun when you can)