Tuesday, November 06, 2007

kingdom of God

Some quotes on the kingdom of God:

John Wimber
Our primary aim in life is to love and glorify God, participating in the expansion of His Kingdom in relevant ways in the time alloted to us. As communities of the King, churches should model what the Kingdom looks like when God has His way with a group of people. via rick ianniello
George Eldon Ladd:
We live in the presence of the future. via rick ianniello
Brian McLaren:
More and more of us are realizing something our best theologians have been saying for quite a while: Jesus' message is not actually about escaping this troubled world for heaven's blissful shores, as is popularly assumed, but instead is about God's will being done on this troubled earth as it is in heaven. via team pyro
team pyro doesn't like Brian McLaren. I have to admit, they tick me off, and I just want to blast them. I know that's not a good thing to do, but... I resist (most of the time) Then I read this quote on Adrian Warnock's blog:
It is easy, when attempting to be discerning, to neatly categorize people into two camps: safe and unsafe or good and bad. We then implicitly trust the people in the good camp and entirely reject anything said by those in the bad camp. To do so, though, is to ignore the common grace God gives whereby even those whose views are far different from our own can still be wise and can still speak the truth. While we need to read their words with care and discernment, we can and often should still read their words. We need to rest in the security of the Spirit’s guiding and protecting ministry in our hearts rather than in sheltering ourselves from views that do not always accord with our own. (Tim Challies in The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment

1 comment:

ricki said...

Thanks for the reference ... I posted my thoughts on the recent Pyromaniacs post but then deleted. I'm committed to handling this properly. I hope I have time to getting to that today. They continue to expose their failure to understand the fullness of the Gospel.