Friday, March 28, 2008

eclectic

I am known for having fairly eclectic musical tastes.
It has been pointed out that some of views are post-modern in the sense that I try to hold some things together that don't always seem to fit.

Earlier this week, I was sitting in St. Arbucks [Starbucks ] @ 7:30 in the morning @ Yonge & King in Toronto. If I get there at that time it saves a lot of time sitting in traffic. I would much rather sit in St. Arbucks with a coffee & a book than in traffic on the 401.

As I settle down in a comfortable chair, with a tall columbian fair-trade blend, I notice the music, which is old-school country - stuff from the 20's & 30's. About 15min later the music has moved forward to Johnny Cash. And just then, a guy sits down across from me & says "I started into music because of him. I wanted to play guitar like him." As we talked, he's got a CD coming out this summer (that St. Arbucks will play) and he's a Juno winner - playing with a Metal Band.

One of the things we talked about was what was happening. While I had noted the seemingly incongruity of old style county in the heart of the financial district of Toronto, he took it fully in stride.

I think that says something about our world and the church. I know too many church people [good people] who simply cannot understand incongruity. On the other hand, the urban mindset, seems to have no problem with it at all.

Len Sweet, wrote a book a few years ago entitled Out of the Question, Into the Mystery. In it, he hits on something important. [This is my paraphrase & examples.] In a modern mindset, we like questions and answers. Neat and tidy. Systematic theologies. Legal numbering systems. But in a post-modern mindset [or at least one with post-modern tendencies] mystery is OK, it's allowed, it's encouraged. As one makes the transition from modernity to post-modernity, it's not easy to give up safe categories and embrace mystery. But I would agree with Sweet, that:
Biblical faith is not about living a moral life. That's religion. Biblical faith is not about living the "good life". That's capitalism. Biblical faith is about living the GodLife...

Faith and obedience are found in listening to God, questioning God, being challenged by God, and challenging God.

No comments: