Saturday, April 12, 2008

Alan Alda

I loved Alan Alda in M*A*S*H.
I read the first part of his autobiography last year: Never Have Your Dog Stuffed.
I just finished the second part: Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself.
Both are great titles. Both are interesting reads.

Alda talks about his struggles with growing up with an often absent father and a schizophrenic mother; about being famous; about little stuff; about life.

From the last page...
The meaning of life is life.

Not noticing life is what's meaningless, right down to the last second. When I played Richard Feynman on the stage, Feynman who was dying of cancer, told his doctor he didn't want an anesthetic at the end, because "if I'm going to die, I want to be there when I do." Even in this last moment, there will be something to notice. After all the talk, that's the last word.

Notice.
The Puritans said it was important that one not only lived well, but that one died well.

Noticing life... noticing what is happening all around us, while we are too busy to notice it... noticing what God is doing while we are doing our own thing.

Keep your eyes open

No comments: