Friday, August 16, 2019

book review: Restless Faith


Title: Restless Faith: holding evangelical beliefs in a world of contested labels
Author: Richard J. Mouw
Publisher: Brazos Press
Date: 2019

Richard Mouw is a respected leader within the evangelical community for many years. He has often been a voice of reason. So when I saw this book on an important topic for these turbulent days, I wanted to read it. And wanted to like it.

But I couldn’t. Not because he doesn’t come to a clear conclusion. I somewhat expected that with a title like Restless Faith. But more because I didn’t find he really engaged with the issues. While his emphasis on dialogue is important, I didn’t find much in this book that will help evangelicals dialogue around the cultural and biblical themes that shape evangelicals.

Mouw concludes by saying: “For me, the only way to be a properly functioning evangelical is to keep arguing about what it means to be an evangelical.” Restless Faith (p. 174). Agreed. But, I’m not sure this book moves the dialogue along very far.

This book was been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group
and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
This is my honest review. All opinions are strictly my own.


No comments: