Psalms of Ascent: Psalm 122

Psalms of Ascent


Psalms 120 – 135 are a series of 15 Psalms sung by pilgrims either on their way to Jerusalem to celebrate one of the festivals or at the festivals themselves. Together they are called the "Psalms of Ascent". 

Over the next several days, I want to explore some of the ways these ancient Psalms sung by pilgrims many years ago relate to us today. 

These Psalms speak of hope, passion, future dreams, desire and trust while on a journey that reminds them, and us, of past memories, present sufferings and future promises. 

The Psalms of Ascent point us to the hope that is present in the midst of whatever journey you are on.

Psalm 122 (NLT)
I was glad when they said to me,
    “Let us go to the house of the Lord.”
2 And now here we are,
    standing inside your gates, O Jerusalem.
3 Jerusalem is a well-built city;
    its seamless walls cannot be breached.
4 All the tribes of Israel—the Lord’s people—
    make their pilgrimage here.
They come to give thanks to the name of the Lord,
    as the law requires of Israel.
5 Here stand the thrones where judgment is given,
    the thrones of the dynasty of David.
6 Pray for peace in Jerusalem.
    May all who love this city prosper.
7 O Jerusalem, may there be peace within your walls
    and prosperity in your palaces.
8 For the sake of my family and friends, I will say,
    “May you have peace.”
9 For the sake of the house of the Lord our God,
    I will seek what is best for you, O Jerusalem.


I am a grandfather. Janice and I have six grandchildren - then call us Nana & Papa. Two live in Toronto, two live in Hamilton and two live in Guelph. I read an article recently about someone who has six generations of family who have all lived in the same city - born, raised, educated, employed, died. I have lived in multiple cities. Until we moved to Guelph, Ontario this year, Orillia was the longest I had ever lived in one place - 18 years. 

One of the things that we can say about the places where we have lived is that we have loved our city. We have connected to the city. We have immersed ourselves in the life of the city. 

So, I understand David’s love for his city when he penned this psalm to be sung by pilgrims arriving in Jerusalem. His love for this city is clear in this poem / psalm / song.

What about you? 
  • When was the last time you made time in your schedule and prayed for the city you live in? 
  • When did you last make a declaration of love towards your city? 
Let me encourage you today to pray for your city.
  • Pray for healing.
  • Pray for reconciliation.
  • Pray for creativity.
  • Pray for solutions to the big issues of poverty and abuse and addictions and mental health struggles.
  • Pray for God's blessings to be poured out. 
We know from experience that the true test of how much we love someone, or something, is if we pray for them. And when we pray, God does something in our heart, and we grow in love for the very ‘thing’ we pray for.

So, let’s pray.

Prayer
Lord God, you who love the cities of this planet, I pray for the peace of [name your city here]. May those who love you be secure. May there be peace within your walls, and security within the homes of all people in this city. For the sake of my family and friends, I will say, ‘Peace be within you.’ For the sake of the house of the Lord our God, I will seek your prosperity.’ Amen.

Comments