Tuesday, May 17, 2011

new computer / shoes

I went to Barrie yesterday to buy Janice a new computer and look at some computer equipment for the church - I came back with a new pair of running shoes for myself.  Just for the record, Janice wasn't too upset.

 My last 2 pairs of shoes have been Saucony Guide 2s [the top shoe, the one with blue trim]. The new pair are Saucony Ride 3s [the ones with the green trim]. The reason for the switch is because the way my feet pronate has changed. As I am sure you are aware "pronation is a rotational movement of the forearm at the radioulnar joint, or of the foot at the subtalar and talocalcaneonavicular joints." :-) wikipedia

 
The staff at the running room in Barrie figure that with the miles I have been putting on [close to 40K/week], I have gone from being a mild pronator to having a neutral pronation in my stride. 

By the way, if you buy your running shoes off the rack, do yourself a big favour and get yourself to a decent running store and have them check you out. Staff at Barrie, looked at my old shoes, had me try on several brands and watched carefully as a ran up and down the aisle.



I went for a run today in the new shoes. They felt wonderful. No breaking in time needed. They are a few ounces lighter and very comfortable. Maybe this will mean some better times. I have a couple of 5K's coming up in the next few weeks, before starting to train for a 10K and a 1/2 marathon. 

No comments: